Baked Eggs with Spinach and Tomatoes
- ½ lb. frozen spinach, thawed $0.78
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder $0.02
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes (optional) $0.02
- Salt and pepper $0.05
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes $0.80
- 4 large eggs $0.86
- 2 Tbsp cream or half and half $0.24
- ½ cup shredded cheese $0.63
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray or coat with butter. Thaw the spinach and squeeze out most of the moisture (no need to go overboard here, just make sure it’s not dripping).
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and place them in the bottom of the casserole dish. Sprinkle the spinach over the tomatoes. Season the tomatoes and spinach with the garlic powder, red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt, and some freshly cracked pepper (about 5 cranks of a pepper mill).
- Crack the eggs on top of the spinach and tomatoes. Drizzle the cream over everything in the dish, then top with the shredded cheese. Bake the dish in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the whites are opaque, but still soft and moist (they should jiggle slightly when you shake the dish). The exact cooking time will depend on the size and shape of your dish, so begin checking for doneness at around 15 minutes.