Homemade Wild Plum Jelly Recipe
- 5½ pounds of plums
- 4 cups of water
- 7 cups of sugar
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- Rinse and remove stems from plums.
- Cut plums in half and remove the pits. Discard the pits and add pitted plums in a bowl.
- Chop up pitted plums and add to a pot.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes. Use a potato masher to help break up the mixture even more.
- Put a colander or strainer over a larger bowl and cover with several layers of cheese cloths.
- Pour plum mixture over cheese cloth and let the juice strain into the bowl. This can take up to a few hours.
- Pour 5½ cups of plum juice into a large pot. If you didn’t get 5½ cups of juice add in some water to make a total of 51/2 cups of liquid.
- Add in 1 box of pectin and stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add in 7 cups of sugar and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
- Ladle into hot sterilized jars making sure to leave ¼ inch head space. Add lids and rings and process in a hot water bath canner for 5-10 minutes.