- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pound smoked sausage, sliced
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 whole onion)
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (about 3 bell peppers, I like to use 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green)
- cajun or creole seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) penne pasta
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until it just starts to smoke. Add sausage, chicken, onions, and bell peppers. Season with cajun seasoning (about 1-2 teaspoons). Cook until lightly browned. Add garlic stir to combine until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, cream, pasta, and more cajun seasoning to taste, about ½ teaspoon. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then cover skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in ½ cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, golden brown, and bubbly.