Orange Balsamic Cilantro Salad
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro $0.89
- 2 medium carrots $0.28
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame $0.82
- ¼ cup dried cranberries $0.38
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds $0.15
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar $0.40
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil $0.02
- 1 fresh orange, divided $1.05
- ¼ tsp toasted sesame oil $0.14
- ½ tsp brown sugar $0.02
- Pull the cilantro leaves from the stems and give it a very rough chop (don’t chop too much or you’ll loose the volume in your salad). Roughly chop the cranberries. Peel and grate the carrots with a cheese grater. Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat (stir continuously) until they are golden brown (about 2 minutes).
- Combine the cilantro, carrots, edamame, cranberries, and toasted sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Use a fine holed cheese grater or a microplane to remove about ¼ tsp of zest from the orange (the thin orange layer of the peel). Squeeze about 2 Tbsp of juice from the orange. Combine the zest and juice with the balsamic vinegar, vegetable oil, sesame oil, and brown sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. It can be eaten immediately, but I like to refrigerate the salad for about 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors meld a little. It will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days once dressed.