Simple Mushroom Penne with Walnut Pesto Recipe
For the Pasta
- 8 ounces penne pasta (I like to use whole wheat)
- 4 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® European Style Super Premium Butter
- 16 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper, and fresh parsley for topping
For the Walnut Pesto
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1½ cups packed greens (spinach, basil, parsley, anything you like – but keep some basil for a more traditional pesto flavor)
- ½ to ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the penne pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Toast the walnuts in a small sauté pan over low heat with no butter or oil – stir and shake the pan until the walnuts are fragrant and toasty (about 5 minutes). In a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the walnut pesto and pulse until mostly smooth.
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a wide skillet. Add the mushrooms and saute for 8-10 minutes, until the mushrooms are a deep golden brown. Add the penne pasta to the pan and stir to combine, adding Parmesan, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley or other herbs to taste.
- Divide the pasta between 4-6 bowls and top with a generous spoonful of the walnut pesto OR stir the walnut pesto directly into the pasta.